Monday, September 1, 2008

9/2/08 Question and Write Up

After reading the article a couple of times now I feel like I have this burning question about why is it still so hard to find a place to exhibit net.art work? I mean in this day and age we have access to the internet through everything in our homes and I feel the next generation of artists will have the ability to tap into these devices and exhibit work. Sort of like Heath Bunting and his work with the phone booths. That was brilliant why can't we as computer savvy artists be able to do something like that. Nothing is really stopping us other than scared corporations who don't want any kind of open sourcing of their code. What do they have to hide?

Write Up:
Starting off after receiving the assignment I knew that I wanted to make a surreal/alien landscape. I found inspiration in artists that I had on file in my personal library at home. Tim Biskup, Mars-1, David Choe, and Jeff Soto were some of the artists I wanted to sort of mimic in style and color. While working on developing the digiscape I found that I couldn't exactly get my piece to be what I totally wanted it to be because I wanted to keep in mind we have to animate an aspect of it. By eliminating several elements of the sketch I could focus more on polishing up my environment. Hopefully by the time I go to animate the digiscape I can add elements over it in Flash instead of drawing them up in Illustrator and placing them.

Digiscape:

8 comments:

DaKoda Davis said...

Q,
this is totally creative. You definitely have that surrealistic theme going on. I didn't immediately read it as 'alien', but rather a green friendly kind of thing. I see the pinwheel object as a device that rotates and sends some sort of eco-friendly production.

Jordan said...

simply electro!

Ms. Singleton said...

It might be a good idea to add more stuff that you can play with in your landscape. I think you could do some cool stuff with the yellow wheels. If you wanted to expand on surrealism in your digiscape, it could be cool to distort objects with color.

ericHUBER said...

I can see interesting extra terrestrial things showing up all over the place.
Itll need alot of interaction, be careful that it doesnt become too bland, keep em guessin

wyatt said...

i think its the start of something beautiful! na i like the simplicity you might not need much else.like the depth.

anthoneycarter said...

I'm not sure if you're imagining the final solution in your animation — what it's going to look like looping over and over again — but consider what elements you're animating and make sure it's not going to be so ridiculously repetitive in the end that it ruins the fine tuning you're going for in your distilled environment.

Anonymous said...

You have a great start here. There is enough here already to work with and to animate, and it will be very easy to add other elements once your sure of what direction you want to go.

shaw said...

Definitely alien in nature. It has a very individualized look to it. Easily relatable to "alien" objects, yet in a style all your own. I'm interested in seeing how you manipulate each object in your future animation.

The focus of the image tends to gravitate towards the center. Your objects and lines are very "alive" in their color and positioning. I'd love to maybe see them interact with each other, or with the environment itself. I do know you are considering adding more, and i think that's an awesome idea.

Those circles are an interesting idea. Maybe you could animate them extending from each other to create a huge linked web of circles and lines?